f

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Swings, Variance, and Me

The title reminds me of a pamphlet you might read in Junior High gym class about going through puberty. Why was it that you learned about Sex-Ed. in Jr. High gym class? Like I need some old man who used to coach High School football in his glory days to teach me about "my changing body" ...and, of course, abstinence. But I digress.

I'm learning about the swings of poker, and I think that I am handling them pretty well. Losing $3500 in one day can take its toll on a person, especially since just a few months ago I was a $100NL and $200NL grinder who barely ever swung more than $500 in either direction. On Day 92, I made $3714, which was my highest single day ever. The very next day, I lost $3536, which was my worst single day ever. There is no doubt in my mind that this is the nature of the game. I am playing well, and when I have a losing day, I go through my PokerTracker and review my big losses. What did I do, what was my image, what was his image, what hand did I put him on, what would be correct to do given the situation, etc. Fortunately, I've had more winning days than losing days.

To win at this game, you need to emotionally detach yourself from the money. It's not about the money, it's about playing correct winning poker. I'm working on this, and I think it's coming. I want to beat the game. In the end, the money is a perk.

3 Comments:

At 9:02 AM, Blogger verneer said...

Graphs?

 
At 5:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

those were some sick swings you had in late January. That took alot of heart to get through.

Gl on your journey to 100k.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger HyperAggrDonk said...

Thanks. So far I am managing to outrun the swings, and mostly end may days on the upswing. Hopefully I can continue that trend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home